Criteria for Eligibility:
- Nominees should have demonstrated a prolific spirit of innovation in creating or facilitating outstanding inventions that have made a tangible impact on quality of life, economic development, and the welfare of society.
- Nominees should have made outstanding contributions to innovation in areas such as patents and licensing, innovative discovery and technology, significant impact on society, and support and enhancement of innovation.
- Self-nominations are not eligible. Teams are not eligible for consideration.
- Nominee must be a named inventor on at least one patent issued by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Currently the median number of patents among NAI Fellows is 18.
- Nominee must be affiliated with an academic organization, e.g., university, college, non-profit research institute, government research laboratory.
- Deceased nominees are not eligible.
- Nominee does not have to be a current member of the National Academy of Inventors, nor affiliated with a Member Institution of the National Academy of Inventors.
- Nominations may be made of both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens.
- Nominations may be submitted by anyone (except for the nominee themselves). The nominator does not have to be affiliated with an NAI Member Institution.
Nominations are accepted each year from July 1 – November 2.
To nominate a person for election as an NAI Fellow, the nominator completes the online nomination form and submits it, along with the nominee's full CV, a list of issued U.S. patent numbers (maximum 10), and a personal letter of nomination.
In addition to contact information for the nominee and nominator, the nomination form requires a Citation in 200 words or less listing contributions, honors and awards; a Summary of Patents, Licensing and Commercialization Activities; and a list of U.S. patents held by the nominee. Along with the form, the nominator uploads his/her own letter of nomination and the nominee’s full CV.
All materials must be submitted online no later than Monday, November 2, 2015, 11:59 p.m. (EST), to be considered for NAI Fellowship. Nominations missing any documentation or submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
To complete the Nomination Form, create an account in the NAI Fellows Portal and begin filling out the Nomination Form and then select the Next button. You can edit the document at any time until the November 2, 2015 deadline. Once you have completed the entire Nomination Form and uploaded the attachments, and are ready for final submission, click the “Submit” button on the form. After clicking on “Submit” you will not be able to edit the Nomination Form again or upload any additional information. You will be able to print the completed form for your records. View the full instructions on how to set up an account and complete a nomination in the newly designed Fellows Nomination Portal.
Review the Nomination Checklist below for complete instructions before beginning the nomination submission process.
Nomination Review and Election
All complete nomination packets received by the deadline are reviewed by the 2015 NAI Fellows Selection Committee. The number of Fellows elected each year is dependent on the quality of the nominations submitted. Committee members may not vote on a nominee from their own institution. Decisions of the Selection Committee are final. If a nominee is not elected to Fellow status packets are kept on file for three total years and he or she may be nominated and selected at a future time.
Nominees will be notified if they have been elected to Fellow status by December 4, 2015. Nominators will be notified if their nominee has not been elected, but their nominee will not be notified directly.
An induction ceremony for newly elected NAI Fellows will be held at the Annual Conference of the National Academy of Inventors each year. New Fellows and their nominators are cordially invited to attend the conference (at the special discounted member rate). At the ceremony, the new Fellows will receive their rosette, medal and award, along with their NAI lapel pin and member certificate.
Elected Fellows are required to attend their induction ceremony within two years of notice of election in order to receive award.
All Fellows will be featured on the NAI website and in materials promoting the NAI and the NAI Fellows program.
Following election, NAI Fellows are requested to contribute a dues payment of $250 annually or $2,500 for lifetime membership. For more information regarding how dues support the Fellows Program or how to pay, please visit the Fellows Dues Page.
For questions, contact Keara Leach, Program Director, at Email or call +1-813-974-5862.